winding whirlpools...

Thursday, March 16, 2006



Mooning from afar....
Sitting by the big open window of a mini luxury bus, i decide to take in the sights of the city that I have come to love. Its around 7 o' clock in the evening and I see the local people all headed homewards to settle down for the day.
My eyes wander around casually as I look for a familiar face. It helps when you have to travel long distances. The silence is deafening. Being a regular traveller at peak hours, has helped me block out the incessant noise of the vehicles whizzing past the bus. Aimlessly my eyes dart here and there at an occassional bill board, a traffic light - waiting for the ticking seconds to hit ' 0 ' so we can move, a weary cop waiting to rush home after a long day of gathering dust and money ;)
My companion on such trips is my cell phone. It seems to have deserted me as well. The blank dark screen stares back at me as I hope for a ray of light to wink back at me. I sigh! I take out my camera and decide to have a shot at something in the line of vision. I look high and low for a good subject stationary or moving. I shoot some building and short skylines that would be dwarfed by the ones in NY. When the bus stops for more passengers, I manage to shoot pictures of people huddled under the bus stand to avoid the dust thats being sprayed around everytime a large vehicle or gust of wind goes their way.
I am blinded for a moment and then when I looked up I saw him. I rubbed my eyes to be sure that this wasn't another dream. It took a pinch and some more staring to make me believe that this gorgeous creature was actually looking at me. Dazzling in all his (k)night-in-shining-armour he seemed to have eyes only for me. I tried to break away from the trance he held me in. I tried real hard to stop staring at him but I could not resist.
Seems like the two of us were in the same boat. I found him following me. What a feeling! I was thrilled to bits.
An occasional building or tree would come in the middle but I found the two of us peering on either side of the obstruction just so the view would not be obstructed. I smiled coyly. He beamed right back at me.
Our eyes did most of the talking, given the distance between us. I wanted, desperately to capture his beauty in my lens, but would he be mortified. Would he sue me! To the eyes of the untrained, he would seem a not so unsual part of the woodwork. To me he was something more. So etheral so mystifying. I wonder what lay behind all that brilliance that was him.
He followed me all the way home. His watchful eyes followed me like that of a pocessive boy friend. I was pleased. I looked up and I saw my reflection in his eyes. I was doubly thrilled!
The moon was in love with me as much I was with him!
posted by meghna mohan at 11:13 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home